The summer is the ideal season for grilled chicken sandwiches! After being grilled to exquisite perfection, marinated chicken breasts are topped with a simple homemade honey mustard sauce and preferred garden-fresh toppings. This sandwich is a year-round favorite! This recipe for grilled chicken sandwiches is an easy and delectable weeknight dinner or a casual weekend lunch.
You need to be able to create the grilled chicken sandwich if you have a grill. A hot grill, marinated chicken, and some of the tastiest sandwich toppings are required for this simple dish. Don’t forget to include the sauce. It elevates this sandwich with grilled chicken to fantastic new heights.
Table of Contents
Ingredients Needed for Grilled Chicken Sandwich
For a chicken sandwich that is incredibly juicy, stick with chicken breasts or use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Although a toasted sesame bun is called for in this recipe, feel free to substitute any of your favorites, such as buttery brioche! Alternatively, prepare some homemade garlic bread or even bread with jalapenos and cheddar and serve it sandwich-style!
Although the marinade is so adaptable that any sauce will go great with it, we enjoy how the honey mustard sauce wonderfully complements it. Try Barbeque, homemade mayo, sriracha, or whatever else you like!
How to Make the Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Whether paired with a crisp salad or grilled vegetables, these grilled chicken sandwiches are ideal for a warm summer day. Always utilize the highest quality ingredients you can find for the tastiest outcomes. If more oil is required, you can substitute avocado oil. and your preferred hamburger bread. This would be delicious on brioche buns.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 15 min. Marinate Time: 30 min. Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts 4 small
- 4 sesame seed buns
- ¼ cup honey mustard sauce* or mayonnaise
- Lettuce, tomatoes, onions optional
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper each
1. Thicken chicken breasts to a ½” thickness
2. In a bowl or freezer bag, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken and mix well. 30 minutes of marinating
3. Heat the grill to medium-high.
4. Grill the chicken for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until no pink is visible and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
5. Brush buns with olive oil and set them face down on the grill while the chicken is roasting. toast lightly.
6. Put honey mustard on each bun, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions as desired. Add chicken on top, then plate.
More Tips for Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Larger chicken breasts can be divided into 4 servings by cutting them in half.
- The chicken only requires around 10 to 12 minutes total cooking time because it has been crushed to ensure equal cooking.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts.
- Homemade Honey Mustard: 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 ½ tablespoons yellow mustard, 1 ½ tablespoons honey, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder should be added.
- Use the broiler in the oven to bake the chicken rather than grill it. Broil chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side (or until it reaches 165°F) at a distance of 4′′ from the heat.
- 30 minutes to 4 hours are suitable for marinating. If you cook the meat for any longer than that, the consistency will change since the marinade will start to cook the meat.
How to Store Grilled Chicken Sandwich
For up to three days, keep leftover grilled chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Assemble the sandwiches after gently reheating in a 350°F oven or microwave until 165°F internal temperature. Fully prepared sandwiches shouldn’t be kept because the toppings and bun can get soggy.
How to Freeze Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Grilled chicken breasts can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container. Before reheating and putting together sandwiches, let the sandwiches thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a chicken sandwich good for weight loss?
Although turkey and chicken sandwiches are excellent go-to options for weight loss, they are by no means the only sources of low-calorie protein and fiber. Beans, shellfish, tofu, low-fat and non-fat dairy products, eggs, pork tenderloin, and lean beef cuts are other sources of lean protein.
2. Which chicken part is the healthiest?
There are more calories in darker cuts like the thigh and drumstick than in lighter cuts like the breast. Saturated fat is also added when chicken is fried or kept with the skin on. As chicken breast is the healthiest part of the bird, you should stick with it if you’re replacing red meat with chicken.
3. Is homemade chicken sandwich healthy?
Protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals are all present in moderate amounts in grilled chicken sandwiches. The fact that grilling requires less oil than deep-frying, which results in fewer calories and fat in the finished product, makes it healthier than a fried chicken sandwich.
4. How nutritious is a chicken sandwich?
According to experts, grilled chicken sandwiches are a wonderful source of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. The fact that grilling requires less oil than deep-frying, which results in fewer calories and fat in the finished product, makes it healthier than a fried chicken sandwich.
5. What is required for chicken on the grill?
The easiest way to be sure chicken on the grill has reached the recommended minimum temperature of 165 F is to use a digital meat thermometer. To obtain the most precise temperature, insert the thermometer into the cut’s thickest part, being careful to avoid any bones.
6. What ingredients are in grilled chicken sandwiches?
Top the bottom buns with a piece of grilled chicken and generously sprinkle with hot honey to assemble the sandwiches. Add grilled red onions, peach, bacon, and arugula as garnishes. If desired, you can include candied jalapenos. Add the top bun, then serve right away.
7. Do chicken sandwiches qualify as junk food?
There isn’t a healthy fried chicken sandwich. For starters, there is fried chicken, one of the unhealthiest ways to prepare this otherwise lean and beneficial protein. Fried chicken is really regarded as one of the world’s unhealthiest dishes.
8. Can I eat grilled chicken every day?
Absolutely! the advised approach to prepare chicken is to grill or bake it throughout the week.
9. Is a grilled chicken sandwich better for you than a fried one?
Since fat drips off during cooking, grilled meats contain less fat than fried meats. This produces healthier dishes and helps sticking to a low-fat diet easier. Consuming less fat also lowers blood levels of harmful cholesterol.
10. Why is chicken that has been grilled best?
Because the chicken sheds fat when cooking, grilled chicken is healthier for the body. While the meat cooks, the fat will drip off of it. Moreover, the customer receives iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc from this way of cooking.
11. Would the cooked chicken make me fat?
No. Grilled chicken is unquestionably a nutrient-dense, low-fat, fantastic source of protein. Just 102 calories are contained in an 85 g piece of skinless, boneless chicken breast. Both in the short and long term, a high-protein diet is particularly helpful for helping people lose weight.
12. Is grilled chicken healthier than burger?
The grilled chicken substitutes at most fast serve restaurants provide about 50%–60% fewer calories, 80–90% fewer fat grams, and more than 90% fewer saturated fat grams than hamburger patties.
Image credit: Yandex.com
Also Read: Ground Chicken Burrito Recipe