Ground meat in refrigerator whether it is beef, turkey, hog or chicken, is always available for a quick lunch or dinner for family. In particular, ground chicken makes for an easy meal using this ground chicken burrito recipe.
Table of Contents
Making Homemade Ground Chicken Burrito
Tortillas loaded with spicy ground chicken, red rice, refried beans, corn, salsa, and cheese are used to make ground chicken burritos. After rolling, these tortillas are cooked in foil. This dish is so healthy because it’s made with ground chicken, Greek yogurt, fresh salsa, guacamole, and refried beans.
Ingredients Needed for Ground Chicken Burrito Recipe
Ground chicken filling: Another alternative uses boneless chicken breasts that have been sliced into small cubes and is ground chicken with peppers.
Rice: Mexican red rice – brown or white rice can also be used.
Refried beans: Red or pinto beans used in homemade refried beans.
Other fillings: Homemade salsa, corn kernels, cilantro, lime juice, Greek yogurt and cheese – you could use corn, mango or pineapple salsa, cilantro and lime are a requirement while you might select to use sour cream and any cheese that you prefer.
Tortillas: Corn tortillas – multigrain or whole wheat can also be used.
Ground Chicken Burrito Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 35 min. Total Time: 45 min. Servings: 6 burritos
For the Ground Chicken Filling:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
For the Refried Beans:
- 1 cup red bean cooked
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
For the Ground Chicken Burritos:
- Tortillas corn or wheat flour
- 2 cups Mexican red rice (or cooked brown rice)
- 2 fresh corn kernels
- ½ cup Mexican cheese blend low fat
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1½ cup salsa (tomato)
Making Ground Chicken:
- Get the ingredients ready. Cut the peppers and onions.
- On medium heat, sauté the garlic and onions in a pan with olive oil for one minute.
- Cook for 2 minutes after adding the garlic and the ground chicken. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the water has evaporated, after adding the spices and salt.
- Peppers should be added and cooked for one minute. Turn the heat off.
Making Refried Beans:
- Get the ingredients ready. Red beans should be well cooked and presoaked.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and sauté it until it is fragrant. Add the salt and one cup of the broth along with the cooked beans. Stirring occasionally, cook until the water has completely evaporated.
- Using an immersion blender, mash or grind the food and set aside.
Assembling the Ground Chicken Burritos:
- Get the ingredients ready. Create the salsa, then set it aside.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Scoop some refried beans and Mexican red rice onto the board with the tortilla.
- Top with salsa and some ground chicken stuffing.
- Add some fresh corn kernels, cilantro, and lime juice on top.
- Greek yogurt and some shredded cheese should be added.
- The filling should be tucked in with the flap facing you once the two edges have been brought over. Wrap the tortilla with foil and roll it up.
- Put the burritos in a baking dish or casserole. For 20 minutes, bake.
- Make use of a sharp knife to split the little chicken burritos in two.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or serve with guacamole.
Some Tips for Ground Chicken Burrito Recipe
1. Before putting the burritos together, warm the tortillas. Either warm each tortilla on a griddle or briefly microwave them.
2. The homemade refried beans must not be too fluid, otherwise the ground chicken burritos will be soggy. To make the mixture moist and smooth but not too dry, boil the cooked beans in their broth until the majority of the water has evaporated. The beans should be cooled before being pulsed in a blender.
3. It will be challenging to roll the Ground Chicken Burritos if the fillings are stuffed too tightly.
4. For the refried beans, soak the beans over night and simmer them in water (or pressure boil them or use an instant pot) until they are no longer gritty in the middle. Once the beans are cooked, add salt to prevent them from becoming rough and gritty, which will prevent you from blending the beans into a reasonably smooth and creamy combination. When it cools, the refried bean mixture will thicken. If you need to achieve a particular thickness, texture, or consistency, feel free to add additional water.
5. In the absence of salsa, top with chopped tomato and onion
6. Griddle or grill the ground chicken burritos to a warm temperature.
7. Instead of individually wrapping each burrito, you might make all of them, arrange them in a baking pan, and then cover the pan with foil.
After a few months, the ground chicken can be freezer. Once they are rolled and cooked, the additional ingredients for the burritos cannot be frozen because they are created fresh the same day.
Calories 395kcal, Carbohydrates 46g, Protein 29g, Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 692mg, Potassium 1268mg, Fiber 10g, Calcium 211mg, Iron 4mg
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do burritos contain beef or chicken?
Typically, they include savory meats like beef, chicken, or pork along with rice, cooked beans, veggies, cheese, and toppings like salsa, tostada de gallo, guacamole, and crema.
2. Why do burritos get soggy?
The tortillas may get mushy if the filling is way too hot when you add it to the burrito. Pre-cook the vegetables. As they cook, vegetables release a lot of moisture. Before putting the vegetables to the tortilla, you can remove any extra moisture from them by pre-cooking them.
3. Why Burritos are so moist?
In order to be eaten with your hands, regular burritos are put into a flour tortilla and wrapped in aluminum foil. When enchilada sauce is added, a burrito becomes “wet” and is then placed on a plate and eaten with a fork.
4. Why are breakfast burritos so delicious?
They are convenient, filling, and incredibly simple to eat on the go. Although burritos are tasty at any time of the day, there is something unique about having one first thing in the morning. Over the past few years, breakfast burritos have gained popularity, and there are lots of delicious variations.
5. What distinguishes a breakfast burrito from a regular burrito?
A breakfast burrito is a special kind of burrito that is made with a tortilla and components that are often found in morning dishes like eggs, bacon, and potatoes.
6. What ingredients are in taco sauce?
A mild, creamy sauce called “burrito sauce” is used to cover or dip burritos. Often, sour cream, mayonnaise, chilies, and a variety of spices are used to make it. Enchilada sauce is a delicious, hot sauce that is commonly used as a filler or topping for enchiladas. It is created using chilis, tomatoes, and spices.
7. What ingredients are in a chicken burrito?
Spanish/Mexican rice, refried beans, cheese, and diced or shredded chicken are the main ingredients in most chicken burritos. With a chicken tortilla, additional ingredients including peppers, onions, salsa, and guacamole are frequently used.
8. What is the best meat for burritos?
When it comes to the meat inside a burrito, carnitas (slow-cooked pork shoulder) is the best there is. It is rich and tender on the inside and crisp on the exterior. Other safe bets include steak and chicken (pick the thigh meat).
9. Why are burritos so popular in America?
American consumers love burritos because they are versatile, delectable, and practical. Simply pick out their preferred toppings and fillings, wrap it in a tortilla, and eat it on the move.
Image credit: Yandex.com
Also Read: Chicken Rice Bean Burrito Recipe