Chicken burritos are flavorful and packed with healthy ingredients. The greatest burritos you’ve ever eaten are made with fresh chicken breast, beans, rice, cheese, and real seasonings and wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. Easily transportable, packable, and delicious.
It keeps together better the more tightly it is rolled. The filler you select also has an impact; chicken and beef shredded well holds together. Yet after a few chews, chopped chicken almost always spills out. Refried beans are used to fill a chicken tortilla, which not only keeps everything together but also gives the filling more moisture and flavor.
Making chicken burritos at home is a really simple and enjoyable way to enjoy Mexican-inspired food. You can quickly prepare tasty chicken burritos with this recipe!
Table of Contents
Making Homemade Chicken Burritos
Many people around the world frequently eat this chicken burrito recipe since it is quick and simple to prepare at home and delicious. This recipe requires more steps than my typical recipes, but it’s the greatest way to recreate your favorite restaurant dishes at home with healthier ingredients.
This chicken burrito recipe is easy to make, you can prepare this at your home. To ensure quicker prep and a shorter cooking time, you can always create the chicken and guacamole ahead of time. Learn how to make the best chicken burrito at home using this recipe.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Burritos
There are only 5 ingredients total in this chicken burrito recipe, including oil and salt. You only need chicken breast, Spanish rice, black beans, cheddar cheese, flour tortillas, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
While simple white rice is acceptable, you can load burritos with spiced Mexican Red Rice. This recipe makes a chicken burrito filled with Mexican Red Rice, refried beans, corn, cheese, and a juicy, well-seasoned chicken filling.
Grilled Chicken Burritos Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min. Baking Time: 35 min. Makes: 2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 6 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
1. After 15 minutes of boiling in hot water, remove and shred the chicken.
2. Add the shredded chicken, stock, and remaining ingredients for the pulled chicken after sautéing the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Until the chicken has absorbed the majority of the liquid, simmer for 5 minutes.
3. After that, sauté the bell peppers and onion for about two minutes over high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are sizzling.
4. Prepare other ingredients like pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, etc. as you combine the guacamole ingredients.
5. Provide a station where people may go and pick out their preferred toppings. Place a tiny amount of chicken, vegetables, beans, cheese, and any additional toppings you want in the middle of each flour tortilla. Your tortilla should be folded up on either side before being rolled into a wrap.
Optional step: in a pan over medium-high heat, brown the burrito on all sides. This will slightly toast the tortilla, preventing it from becoming soggy. Use an extremely sharp knife to cut in half, then relish!
760 calories, 44g fat (23g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 1608mg sodium, 40g carb (2g sweets, 2g fiber), and 51g protein are contained in 2 burritos.
Some Tips for Chicken Burritos Recipe
1. Add a can of red or green enchilada sauce to a pan of your chicken burritos, top with additional shredded cheddar cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until the cheese melts to create “wet burritos” out of them.
2. This recipe benefits from the flavor and depth that sautéed onions and bell peppers bring. While assembling your burritos, combine the chicken with the chopped onions and peppers that you cooked in a separate skillet with olive oil until the vegetables are transparent.
3. For this dish, make sure to purchase tortillas in the burrito size. Your minimum should be 8-inch tortillas. Before serving, cut the finished burritos in half if your guests have small appetites.
How to Roll Chicken Burritos?
- To begin, reheat a tortilla. A heated tortilla is more malleable and simpler to wrap.
- Bring the bottom and top halves of the burrito together by pulling them over.
- Then, pull the tortilla’s top back. By doing so, the filler will be rolled up.
- The tortilla should be folded in half and placed on top of the filled roll.
- To ensure that the filling is tightly sealed inside the burrito, fold the opposite side of the tortilla and place it on the opposite side of the filled roll.
- Unless you have a flawless, lovely burrito, tightly roll your tortilla with both ends folded.
- Place the seam side down and freeze.
How to Freeze Chicken Burritos?
Since burritos freeze beautifully, they make the perfect go-to, quick supper at home! Just wrap something in paper and foil, put it in an airtight container or zip-top bag, and freeze it. To prevent them from sticking together when taking burritos out of the freezer individually for lunches or travel, wrap each one in foil before putting it in the bag.
Storing and Reheating
To use, defrost slightly in the fridge the night before. Before baking, take out of refrigerator 30 minutes. the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap burritos in foil and bake as instructed.
Oven: Take the frozen food out. Bake the burrito in foil for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated all the way through.
Microwave: Take off the foil, wrap the frozen burrito in a damp paper towel, and heat on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Sauce for Burritos
Because they contain refried beans, these chicken burritos have a juicier filling than others. Hence, a sauce is not even necessary. The queso and avocado sauce are both acceptable.
Are Burritos Healthy Meal?
Make this chicken tortilla dish with high-quality chicken and fresh ingredients to keep it healthful. Moreover, be mindful of your portion sizes when using heavy sauces and toppings that are high in fat and calories. Leave out the cheese and guacamole and concentrate on the chicken, vegetables, and salsas to keep the calorie count modest.
Every chicken burrito that is made in accordance with the recipe has 337 calories. Avoid adding sour cream for a lighter version. Instead, use Greek yogurt that has been combined with a squeeze of lime juice. Also, you can add a little grated parmesan to enhance the flavor while reducing the amount of cheddar cheese by a third or even half.
Also, to maintain the heartiness while reducing calories, try substituting cooked white or brown rice for Spanish rice. You can reduce calories without sacrificing the genuine Mexican flavor by adding salsa or hot sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are burritos a nutritious meal?
Depending on the components used, burritos may be a healthy food choice. Nutrient-dense components including nutritious grains, beans, veggies, and lean protein are frequently used in tortilla recipes.
2. Do burritos served warm or cold?
Wraps are often served cold or at room temperature, whereas burritos are typically served hot.
3. Are burritos a true Mexican dish?
The dish we all know and love as the burrito is a mainstay of Mexican-American cooking. The burrito’s origins are in more modern times in Northern Mexico, despite the fact that it is frequently regarded as a traditional Mexican dish. One thing is certain: you will discover less burrito remnants the further south you travel in Mexico.
4. What ingredients used in a chicken burrito?
The greatest burritos you’ve ever eaten are made with fresh chicken breast, beans, rice, cheese, and real seasonings and wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. Refried beans, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sour cream, and your preferred chili sauce are all components of a typical burrito. Enjoy the traditional flavor by wrapping that up in a tortilla.
5. What typically comes in a burrito?
Traditional burrito components include a flour tortilla, a meat filling, beans, and salsa. Rice, vegetables, homemade guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and other toppings are very popular.
6. What ingredients make a burrito ideal?
Five Essential Burrito Ingredients
- Tortillas: All tortillas are not created equal for a burrito’s basis.
- Beans: Use pinto, black, or plain or refried beans to fill your burrito.
- Veggies with lean meat
7. What are the burrito’s seven layers?
For instance, there is no meat to be found in the 7-Layer Burrito, which also includes beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream.
8. What are the burrito’s five layers?
- Seasoned Beef
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Reduced-Fat Sour Cream
9. What ingredients are in taco sauce?
A mild, creamy sauce called “burrito sauce” is used to cover or dip burritos. Often, sour cream, mayonnaise, chilies, and a variety of spices are used to make it. Enchilada sauce is a delicious, hot sauce that is commonly used as a filler or topping for enchiladas. It is created using chiles, tomatoes, and spices.
10. Is rice a must for a burrito?
A burrito should not have any rice. A burrito is made by encasing meats, beans, veggies, and sauces like salsa or guacamole in a heated tortilla. Rice is unneeded and only serves as filler.
11. Does rice used in California burritos?
For your meal, California Burritos offers two different varieties of delectable rice fillings. You can pick between Spanish yellow rice or our unique cilantro white rice.
12. Which Is healthier, pizza or burritos?
Pizza contains more calories, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, sodium, and vitamins and minerals than other foods. Contrarily, burritos have a higher proportion of trans fats than they do saturated fats and a lower glycemic index. Both have a lot of flexibility and can be changed to be healthy.
13. Do burritos help in work out?
Nothing helps your muscles heal faster than Mexican food. The tortilla, protein from the chicken or beans, and rice’s carbohydrates provide excellent sustenance for tired muscles, whether you select a black bean or chicken burrito.
14. I’m on a diet. Can I eat burritos?
The typical ingredients for a burrito are a flour tortilla, meat, optionally beans or rice, cheese, and garnishes. Burritos can be a healthy addition to any meal plan by using the leanest, most nutrient-dense foods and preparing them without adding additional fat.
15. What are the health benefits do burritos have?
Burritos provide enough fiber to speed up metabolism. As a result, the body is able to maintain healthy blood circulation and flush out contaminants.
Also Read: Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce Recipe
Image credit: Yandex.com